Mr Jonathan Hughes
BSC, MB, CHB, DO-HNS, PHD, FRCS
ENT, Head & Neck Surgeon
Jonathan Hughes graduated from University of Bristol Medical School in 2000. He received training in Plastic Surgery, Neurosurgery and General Surgery prior to starting Ear, Nose and Throat (ENT) training. His higher surgical training included placements at recognised centres of excellence, including The Royal National Throat, Nose and Ear, Imperial College, University College, and St Bartholomew’s Hospitals.
During his ENT training, Jonathan was awarded the Royal College of Surgeons of England Research Fellowship to undertake basic science research into viral gene therapy for the treatment of cancer. This research was conducted at the Barts Cancer Institute, London, and culminated in the award of PhD in 2013.
Following ENT training and research, he completed two Royal College of Surgeons of England accredited fellowships forming the basis for his super-specialist interests. The Imperial College Head and Neck fellowship focused on management of benign and malignant tumours of the head and neck. The North Thames Laryngology Fellowship was based at the National Centre for Airway Reconstruction at Charing Cross Hospital and focused on management of voice, airway and swallowing disorders.
In 2014, Jonathan completed a travelling fellowship to two international centres of excellence in the USA. Memorial Sloan-Kettering is the top cancer hospital in the USA and Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania is a pioneering centre for the use of robotic technology in head and neck surgery. During this time he learnt the very latest minimally-invasive techniques used by world leaders in the field.
In 2015 he was appointed as a Consultant Ear, Nose and Throat / Head and Neck / Thyroid Surgeon at University College London Hospitals and Royal Free London NHS Foundation Trusts.
Royal Free Hospital
Country of qualification
- Ear, Nose and Throat
- Royal College of Surgeons of England
- ENT UK
- British Association of Endocrine and Thyroid Surgeons
- British Laryngological Association
- British Association of Head and Neck Oncologists
Registration and licensing
- General Paediatric ENT including glue ear, grommets, tonsils and adenoids
- General Adult ENT
- Hearing loss and Tinnitus
- Nasal blockage and Sinus problems, including Endoscopic Sinus Surgery
- Voice and Swallowing problems
- Head and Neck Cancer
- Salivary gland disease
- Parotid and Submandibular gland surgery
- Facial plastic surgery
- Thyroid and Parathyroid Surgery, including minimal access surgery
- Snoring surgery
- General ENT – Adult and Paediatric
- Head and Neck surgery
- Laryngology/Airway/Voice surgery
- Rhinology (Nose and Sinuses) and Facial Plastics
- Snoring surgery
- Head and Neck Oncology
- Molecular oncology