Dr Gerry Coghlan
MB BCH BAO MD MRCPI FRCP(LON)
Dr Coghlan qualified from University College Dublin in 1983. He trained in cardiology at the National Cardiac Centre (Baggot Street) Dublin, Harefield Hospital and The Royal Free Hospital. He was appointed consultant cardiologist at the Royal Free Hospital in 1997. He is a founder member of the National Pulmonary Hypertension Physicians Association and has developed the Royal Free National Pulmonary Hypertension Service, with a particular interest in connective tissue disease associated PHT.
He has developed an ‘outreach’ model for pulmonary hypertension care attending clinics at Guys & St Thomas’ Hospital, Kings College Hospital, Royal United Hospital Bath, Derriford Hospital Plymouth, Queen Alexandra Hospital Portsmouth and Ulster Hospital Dundonald. From 1999, he was clinical lead in cardiology with the Regional Health Authority, lead for the North Central Sector collaborative program from 2002 – 2004 and from August 2004 – 2013 medical chair of the North Central Sector Cardiac Network.
In addition he was the Head of Service for medical specialties in the Royal Free Hospital from 2001, clinical director of acute medical specialties from July 2004 and Deputy director for medical specialties 2005 – 2009. With the advent of UCL partners he is now leading a group to co-ordinate pulmonary hypertension services & research across 4 hospitals linked to UCL and cardiology lead for the BAMS (BA in medical sciences) course at the Royal Free Site. He is currently governance lead for the Cardiology Service at the Royal Free Hospital.
Royal Free Hospital
- Right Heart catheterisation, pulmonary angiography & vasodilator testing
- Cardiac catheterisation (radial & femoral)
- Coronary angioplasty, stenting, intracoronary imaging, rotablation
- Pacemaker Implantation
- Hickman/Groshong line insertion & management
- Endomyocardial biopsy
- Interventional cardiology/angioplasty
- Ischaemic heart disease
- Pulmonary hypertension
- Cardiac involvement in connective tissue disease
- Chest pain
- Pulmonary hypertension
- Connective tissue and heart disease
- Interventional and general cardiology care
- Cardiac lead for the North Central cardiovascular network. Provides clinics at leading hospitals in south England and Belfast
Principle investigator for many studies in the fields of pulmonary hypertension, cardiac imaging, ischaemic heart disease, including multinational studies.