Dr Keith Gomez
Dr Keith Gomez
MBBS, PHD, MRCP, FRCPATH
Dr Keith Gomez trained at St Thomas’ Hospital Medical School, University of London, and graduated in 1992. After studying haematology in the North London training programme he joined the Haemostasis Research Group at the Medical Research Council in London. The primary area of research for his doctoral thesis was the development of models of tissue factor-initiated coagulation.
After award of his PhD Dr Gomez took up his current post as Consultant and Associate Professor in Haemostasis in the Haemophilia Centre and Thrombosis Unit at the Royal Free Hospital in London. He has extensive clinical experience in the management of bleeding disorders, such as haemophilia, and disorders of blood clotting (thrombosis). He is active in clinical research and has published more than 40 peer-reviewed articles and several book chapters.
Dr Gomez is the President of the British Society of Haemostasis and Thrombosis. He chairs the UKHCDO Genetics Working Party, the National Quality Assurance Advisory Panel for Haematology and the Haemostasis and Thrombosis Task Force for the British Society of Haematology. He is a co-chair of the ISTH SSC for Genomics in Thrombosis and Haemostasis.
Outside of work he enjoys playing tennis and cricket and is a member of Surrey County Cricket Club.
Country of qualification
- President of the British Society for Haemostasis and Thrombosis
- Chair of the Haemostasis and Thrombosis Task Force for the British Society of Haematology
- Chair of the National Quality Assurance Advisory Panel for Haematology
- Chair of the Genetics Working Party of the UK Haemophilia Centres’ Doctors Organisation
- Co-chair of the Genomics in Thrombosis and Haemostasis Scientific Sub-Committee of the International Society on Thrombosis and Haemostasis
Registration and licensing
Investigation of bleeding disorders and blood clotting tendency (thrombophilia)
- Bleeding disorders including haemophilia, von Willebrand Disease and platelet dysfunction
- Thrombotic disorders including deep vein thrombosis and pulmonary embolism
- Genetic basis of inherited disorders of coagulation
- Diagnosis and management of platelet disorders
- Clinical management of the rarer factor deficiencies