Mr David Nasralla
BMBCh, MA (Oxon), FRCS, DPhil
Consultant HPB and Liver Transplant Surgeon
David Nasralla is a Consultant HPB and Liver Transplant Surgeon at the Royal Free Hospital. He has expertise in managing a range of general surgical conditions as well as diseases affecting the liver and pancreas. This includes abdominal wall hernias, groin hernias, gallstone disease, primary and secondary cancers of the liver, gallbladder cancer and pancreatic cancer.
David graduated from Oxford University Medical School in 2005 and completed his surgical training in hospitals across the South of England. He has an international profile in the liver transplant community having completed seminal research as part of a PhD at the University of Oxford, the results from which were published in the journal Nature. In 2017, he was recognised as a Rising Star by the International Liver Transplantation Society and also awarded the prestigious Medawar Medal by the British Transplantation Society. He has also received many other national and international awards.
His work has been featured on the front cover of the journal Nature as well as on BBC Radio 4’s Inside Health and in the BBC series Hospital.
Over the past decade David has performed over 3500 cases, including hundreds of hernia repairs and gallbladder operations as well as more complex abdominal surgical procedures. As part of the Royal Free Hospital HPB unit (one of the largest HPB departments in the UK), he frequently manages complex liver, gallbladder and pancreas cases that are referred from surrounding hospitals in London and beyond.
Royal Free Hospital
- HPB surgery and Liver Transplantation
- General Surgery
- Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of England
- Association of Surgeons of Great Britain and Ireland
- Association of Upper GI Surgeons of Great Britain and Ireland
- British Transplantation Society
- International Liver Transplantation Society
- Abdominal wall hernia repair (inguinal, umbilical, epigastric and incisional)
- Laparoscopic cholecystectomy
- Gallbladder cancer surgery
- Bile duct surgery
- Laparoscopic and open liver surgery
- Pancreatico-duodenectomy (whipples procedure)
- Distal pancreatectomy (keyhole and open)
- Splenectomy (keyhole and open)
- Liver transplantation
- Benign and malignant diseases of the liver
- Biliary tree, gallbladder and pancreas
- Ex-vivo machine perfusion of the liver in transplantation
- Ex-vivo machine perfusion of the liver for the development and delivery of therapeutic interventions