Mr Reza Mirnezami
Mr Reza Mirnezami
MBBS, BSC, FRCS, PHD
Consultant Colorectal Surgeon
I am a consultant colorectal and general surgeon at the Royal Free Hospital. I have been trained to the highest standards in open and laparoscopic colorectal surgery and have completed advanced fellowship training at University College Hospital and St Thomas’ Hospital as well as the internationally renowned St Mark’s Hospital, where I was Resident Surgical Officer (RSO) for 12 months.
My training has allowed me to develop expertise across a broad range of colorectal conditions including early and advanced colorectal cancer, inflammatory bowel disease, intestinal failure and complex abdominal wall reconstruction. My main area of clinical and academic interest is colorectal cancer, and I maintain an active research portfolio, having previously completed my PhD in 2013 at Imperial College under the supervision of Lord Ara Darzi. My research was focused on developing a deeper understanding of colorectal cancer metabolism and I am currently the lead investigator on several active studies evaluating radiation response mechanisms in rectal cancer and the role of diet in colorectal cancer development and progression.
Outside of work, I enjoy cooking, travelling and spending time with my wife and two daughters. I am passionate about music, film and the arts in general and in my spare time I like to visit the theatre or view an exhibition of interest.
Country of qualification
English and Farsi
- Colorectal Surgery
- General Surgery
- Royal College of Surgeons of England (RCSEng)
- Association of Coloproctology of Great Britain & Ireland (ACPGBI)
Registration and licensing
- Laparoscopic and open surgery for colon cancer and rectal cancer
- Laparoscopic and open surgery for inflammatory bowel disease (including but not limited to Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis)
- Open abdominal wall hernia surgery (including but not limited to inguinal, femoral, umbilical, epigastric and incisional hernia)
- Surgery for haemorrhoids (including Milligan-Morgan haemorrhoidectomy, Ligasure haemorrhoidectomy, THD and rubber band ligation)
- Surgery for fissure in ano
- Surgery for fistula in ano
My main area of clinical interest is colorectal cancer and I run parallel streams of clinical and translational research in this area with the hope of enhancing patient survival. I am also highly trained in the operative and non-operative management of inflammatory bowel diseases including Crohn’s and ulcerative colitis.
I am passionate about clinical and translational research and I currently have an active research portfolio focused on colorectal cancer metabolism. I was awarded a PhD in 2013 for a project evaluating the role of metabolic phenotyping approaches (NMR spectroscopy and mass spectrometry) in colorectal cancer.