Dr Tristan Barber
Dr Tristan Barber
MA MD (Cantab.) FRCP BSc MB BChir DRCOG DFSRH Dip. HIV Med. Dip GUM
Dr Barber is a Consultant Physician and healthcare services professional with expertise spanning HIV and sexual/reproductive health (genitourinary medicine). He is a national and international leader in the HIV field who drives clinical improvements whilst always championing patient centred and holistic care, collaborative and shared decision making and instilling a culture of exceptional treatment. He is clinical lead for a bespoke service focused on HIV, frailty and ageing. Dr Barber is accustomed to gathering, disseminating and leveraging data to streamline and deliver improvements across HIV and sexual and reproductive health. He was awarded his MD by the University of Cambridge in 2019 for research in HIV-related neurocognitive impairment.
Dr Barber is currently Chair of the Education and Scientific Subcommittee for the British HIV Association (BHIVA) as well as being associate editor for the journal ‘Sexually Transmitted Infections’ and editor for ‘HIV Research and Clinical Practice’.
In his spare time he enjoys cooking, theatre and year-round open water swimming.
Country of qualification
English and limited French
HIV and Genitourinary Medicine (GUM/Sexual Health)
- General Medical Council #4582753
- Fellow, Royal College of Physicians #115842
- Diplomate, Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists
- Diplomate, Faculty of Sexual and Reproductive Healthcare
- Fellow, British Association for Sexual Health and HIV (BASHH) #00473221
- Member, British HIV Association (BHIVA) #23181
- Trustee, BHIVA Executive Committee
- Member, HIV Clinical Reference Group (CRG)
- Member, Steering Committee, EACS Young Investigator Network (YING)
- All aspects of HIV out-patient and in-patient care.
- Special interest in issues related to ageing in patients with HIV infection, as well as in LGBT populations more broadly.
- Interest in reproductive and conception issues for LGBT patients and happy to advise on issues in this area including LGBT parenting options.
- Offers all aspects of sexual health screening and treatment for sexually transmitted infections, as well as genital dermatological conditions and issues regarding sexual dysfunction.
Dr Barber currently has research projects examining aspects of HIV and ageing, the interaction of HIV on SARS CoV-2 antibody positivity and a planned clinical trial looking at the action of doravirine in patients with known antiretroviral associated resistance mutations. His research background is in HIV vaccine studies, phase three antiretroviral trials and HIV related neurocognitive impairment.