Mr Yogesh Bhatt
Mr Yogesh Bhatt
MBCHB(HONS), BSC(HONS), FRCS(ORL-HNS), DCH (RCPCH), PGCERTMEDED
Consultant ENT Head-Neck And Thyroid Surgeon
Mr Yogesh Bhatt graduated from the University of Manchester Medical School with honors in 2004 having received a first class honors degree in neuroscience from the Imperial College London School of Medicine in 2003. His commitment to Ear, Nose and Throat (ENT) as an undergraduate led to international presentations in the field of cochlear implantation and several undergraduate awards.
He trained in Neurosurgery at the National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery at Queen Square, London prior to starting his postgraduate ENT training. His higher surgical training included placements at high volume centres of excellence, including the ENT/skull-base units at Manchester Royal Infirmary, Paediatric ENT at the Royal Manchester Children’s Hospital and Head and Neck Cancer Surgery at Manchester Royal Infirmary and the Christie Hospital.
Following his general training Mr Bhatt was competitively awarded several prestigious training fellowships. These include the nationally appointed Royal College Training Interface Fellowship in Advanced Head and Neck Surgical Oncology at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham working alongside world leading head and neck surgeons in the fields of ENT, thyroid and Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery and reconstruction. He gained further experience as a senior fellow at Wythenshawe Hospital and the Christie Hospital in Manchester.
In 2016 Mr Bhatt was awarded the British Association of Endocrine and Thyroid Surgery travelling fellowship. Through this he undertook international fellowships with leading endocrine surgery units in the USA including the Massachusetts Ear and Eye Infirmary in Boston, The Moffitt Cancer Centre in Florida and the Georgia Regents Thyroid/Parathyroid Centre in Augusta. This has equipped him with a state of the art understanding of all aspects of thyroid and parathyroid surgery. He maintains strong professional links with these units and the thyroid cancer service at the Insitut Gustave Roussy, Paris.
Mr Bhatt represents one of only a handful of ENT Surgeons nationally to have been awarded the Diploma in Child Health (DCH) from the Royal College of Paediatric and Child Health. He sees this further training as essential to provide the highest level of care to his paediatric patients. He has been a member of Council of the British Association of Paediatric Otolaryngologist.
In 2016 he was appointed as a Consultant Ear, Nose and Throat / Head and Neck / Thyroid Surgeon at the Royal Free London NHS Foundation Trust. Since his appointment he has taken on several local, regional and international leadership roles including Clinical Lead for ENT Head Neck / Audiology for the Trust, Lead Clinician for Thyroid Cancer Services and Chairman of the Thyroid Cancer Multidisciplinary Team. Regionally he is the Pathway Director for Head and Neck Cancer for North Central and North East London at the University College London Hospital Cancer Collaborative which includes the co-ordination of cancer service delivery for 3m population. Internationally he contributes to the World Congress on Thyroid Cancer.
Mr Bhatt enjoys engaging in medical education and holds a post-graduate certificate in medical education from the University of Manchester and is an undergraduate tutor at University College London Medical School and postgraduate tutor to foundation training doctors.
Country of qualification
- Ear, Nose and Throat
- Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health
- Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh
- British Association of Endocrine and Thyroid Surgeons and the British Medical Association
Registration and licensing
- General paediatric ENT including glue ear, grommets, tonsils and adenoids
- General adult ENT
- Hearing loss and Tinnitus
- Nasal blockage and sinus problems, including endoscopic sinus surgery
- Voice and swallowing problems
- Thyroid and parathyroid surgery, including minimal access surgery
- Head and neck cancer diagnostics
- Salivary gland disease
- Parotid and submandibular gland surgery
- General ENT: adult and paediatric
- Specialist expertise: thyroid/parathyroid disease, head and neck ultrasound
- Ears: wax and microsuction, hearing loss, glue ear and grommets, ear infection and discharge, earache, tinnitus, dizziness and vertigo, eustachian tube dysfunction
- Nose: sinus surgery, allergy, nasal blockage and discharge, loss of smell, facial pain, rhinitis, sinusitis and endoscopic sinus surgery, nasal polyps, nosebleeds, deviated nasal septum and septoplasty, nasal trauma/fracture
- Throat: sore throat, tonsillitis and tonsillectomy, oral cavity lesions, dysphagia and swallowing disorders, laryngitis and voice disorders, stridor and breathing disorders, snoring and sleep apnoea
- Neck: parathyroid disease, thyroid nodule, goiter and cancer, neck lumps, salivary gland stones and tumours, thyroglossal cyst, branchial cyst and cancer diagnostics
- Paediatric: tonsillitis, snoring, allergy and glue ear
- Head and neck oncology including quality of life issues
- Benign thyroid/parathyroid and salivary disease
- Molecular oncology
- Regional cancer service delivery